Saturday, January 12, 2008

One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure!

About a month and a half ago my Husband and his business partner bought a rent house. The house next door to the rent house had a Barbie Jeep in front of their garage. I noticed it just before Christmas about the time we decided not to buy one for the girls. I thought well maybe they would like to get rid of theirs, it was just a thought. Last weekend I brought my parents by the house so they can see it. B-Daddy has been working on it for about 4 weeks now. He is remolding it so they can rent it soon. On the way out of the drive way I saw this by the side of the road under some trash.

I drove by slowly and then turned around to go ask if they were really throwing the Jeep away. The lady said it didn't work, so I asked if she would mind if I took it next door so my husband can look at it and take it home. She said "That's fine, but it doesn't work". I figured it wouldn't hurt to try. B-Daddy is pretty handy with things so I thought he might be able to figure out what was wrong with it if it was more than the battery. So my dad rolled it over to the house that we are remolding and we put it inside. I called B-Daddy and told him to come by and bring it home.

Em has been asking all week if daddy has looked at her princess jeep. We told her that daddy will look at it, but it might not work and we will have to throw it away. She is ok with that, but keeps asking. El keeps wanting to get in it, but it is so dirty that I want to wait to see if it works before spending the time to clean it.

Last night the girls spent the night at my in-laws with their cousins, so B-Daddy and I went to wal-mart and bought a battery and a charger. We charged the battery overnight and B-daddy put it in this morning. Guess what, It WORKS!!! A little dirty, but it WORKS!! The girls are going to be so excited.

So the moral of the story is never be embarrassed to knock on someones door and ask for their junk! You never know what you will find. Have you ever found anything out of someones junk pile?

2 comments:

TBSHARP said...

Barbie needs to hook up with CarWash Ken and Battery Ben more often.

brickmomma said...

we have college girls who live across the street and once during a semster change they were cleaning stuff out. There was a cork board in their trash pile with really cool push pins in it. When it was dark I walked over and got it, covered it with material and now it hangs in #1's room!

My mom used to get really cool stuff in her neighborhood in Florida!