Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Birthday MawMaw!

My Maw Maw turned 80 years old on Feb 28th. She has been such a treasure in my life. When we were little my brothers and myself would go spend at least 2 weeks during the summer. There I learned how to cook, play old maid, kill, pluck, and cook a chicken, worm cows, feed cows, pigeons, and chickens, throw out hay for the cows, milk a cow, pick the fresh eggs and the reason why they always had a golf ball in the nest, strain the fresh cows milk, work in the garden, ride smokie (a pony), drink coffee milk in bed with my maw maw (my pawpaw would bring it to us in bed!) and just be loved by my grandparents. We learns some neat things, and I have some great memories of my time with my grandparents. My maw maw is a great cook and has taught me some great things. She would always ask what we wanted to eat and we would always say rice and gravy, or fried chicken and her famous milk gravy she made from scratch, and cowboy breakfast (french toast) for breakfast!

The family decided to threw her a suprise birthday party for her the week after her birthday. They invited old friends and relatives. She is such a great cook they got her to make her own famous rice dressing for her party and she didn't even know it.

Mrs Nellie did a great job of getting old pictures from everyone, and she made a dvd with music and it started with my maw maw's little girl picture, married pictures, 5 kids, and each kids had a section with their family and their kids and grandkids. She cut it off at 509 picutes, but put all the pictures she got on a usb stick and gave all the kids one and we all got a dvd. What a great treasure!! Thanks Mrs Nellie, this is a special gift and you did a great job!! Thanks for all your hard work!!

Needless to say no one spilt the beans and my maw maw was truely suprised. She had a great time and enjoyed visiting with everyone. Here are some pictures that we took while there.


Suprise!

This is when she realizes all the people who came to wish her happy birthday. She was standing there just naming everyone she saw!

This is Mrs Nellie who did a great job on the party and pictures. She even made her a book with all the old photos in it.


Em and Baby B

Baby B such a big boy

My immediate family, yes they are Harley Riders!
What was left of the gang after the party

1 comment:

Susan said...

What special meomories and a fun day honoring your grandmother! I have some of those same meomories of summers with my grandmother... great times!